Monday, March 22, 2010

Deja-vu

In a re-run of the incredible hailstorm of July last year, today Perth experienced a phenomenal hailstorm with really large hailstones.
I heard solid plinking and plunking and thought someone was tampering with the roof. I went outside to find huge hailstones in the front yard, so I grabbed a camera and took some snaps.
Then it began to rain, and hail some more.....and then came the wind.
Good heavens. I've never seen anything like it!
The upshot of it is that our skylight was smashed and the ceiling panel took direct hits that punched through the plexiglass. There is power in the shaft for the light. Yikes. There were hailstones bouncing all over the kitchen floor and benchtops. When the second front passed the holey plexiglass fell out from the weight of rain falling directly into the kitchen. The rain is still falling. There are more storms predicted for tonight until tomorrow morning.
The shadecloth tore free from the mounting pole where it was triple stitched and has remained unmoved for 15 years, weighted down with at least 20kg of ice and tree debris. I couldn't lift it. I was worried the gutters and fascia boards would fall off under the weight. When Don got home, he lifted the bulky, sagging ice mass and we released one corner. It still hasn't fully melted.
Our car looks a little like a golf ball, with fine dents all over it, but luckily no windows smashed. Many people are a lot worse off, with serious flooding, and landslides, and no power to 150, 000 households. Poor devils. All the same I hope our house will be weatherproof again soon.
The temporary flooding in our yard has settled mostly. What with all the foliage stripped from the trees, it was like wading in very wide shallow heavily minted glass of icy punch. This is where we're having Steff's 21st party on the back patio on Saturday. We're renting a woodfired pizza oven and have 40+ people coming. The garden will be stripped and ice damaged, but . . . oh well. The forecast is fine and 27 degrees. We won't need a shadecloth at night, and I won't have time to repair it before then anyway.

Life's never dull!

9 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Certainly not dull... what a wild ride.
Hope everything settles... the party should be great fun, with lots to share about the storm, and hopefully the only ice will be in your drinks!

persiflage said...

I missed the news last night, so did not hear anything about the wild storm you had. I am glad there was not extensive damage, although a very dented car does not sound great. Have a great party.

Elisabeth said...

Hi Laura. It's good to meet you.
I'm new to your blog and intrigued not only by your report of that dreadful storm here but by your earlier comments about what led you to midwifery.

I'm also an Australian. You must be Victorian too, judging by the storm. It resembles the one we had here a couple of weeks ago, or did the storm move through other states. I shall visit again.

Stomper Girl said...

Blimey! You really got hit! Poor old sail-cloth I'm feeling very sorry for it.

Love the minted drink bit.

victoria said...

It's crazy! One of our cars got all dented like that in the melbourne hail storm a couple of weeks ago. Sorry to hear that you guys got so much damage.

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

there's certainly some crazy weather about the country at the moment.

Debby said...

The crazy weather is not confined to Australia. It seems to be happening everywhere. I have to say that I have never seen hail that large in my life. I can't imagine the noise!

Jennifer said...

Glad that you forged ahead with the party and survived the worst of it. Here's to making it through with damage to things that can be repaired!

Anonymous said...

My goodness me. I have been hearing stories from friends about their experience too, and it was so widespread. I am so glad that you are safe and well yourself though, houses can be fixed.

What a sound it must have made on the roooves!!?